Monday, September 1, 2014

My Dishwasher Detergent Confessions plus DIY Dishwasher Magnet

This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SparklySavings #CollectiveBias 



Confession #1 - I don't like doing the dishes

This probably comes from the fact I rarely had a dishwasher growing up. I washed my fair share of dishes and now, since we eat 3 meals a day at home, I am constantly tackling an ever growing mountain of dirty dishes. It is quite a job.

But does anyone really enjoy doing the dishes?

Having a dishwasher made a huge difference in my attitude, With a family of 5, I now consider a dishwasher more of a necessity than a luxury. It is the only appliance in the house we didn't upgrade when we moved in. But it is on my list. With Back-to-School needs and upcoming family birthdays and the holidays though, it isn't a priority. 

Instead of a top of the line machine I am using the best dishwasher detergent I can find instead.

Confession #2 - I pre-scrubbed my dishes

I blame it on my love of melted cheese, but I was a die-hard dish scrubber. I assumed the power lacking in our old dishwasher was the reason why the dishes came out with stuck-on food and spots. Oh, how I dislike spots on my dishes! We have well water so I needed to find a way to get my glasses shiny and residue free. 

The simple solution was in Finish Quantum Power Dishwasher Detergent. The Power Gel helped to rinse away any residue that comes from my well water and the pre-soaking Powerball® took care of all my tenacious baked-on food particles.

Even a night of French Onion Soup Meatballs with all that melted Swiss Cheese came off in the dishwasher cycle.



Confession #3 -  I run my dishwasher 2-4 times a day

Yes, you heard me. I know my way around dishes! Since my husband is a farmer we have the luxury of having all our meals at home as a family. But all that home cooking is brutal on our dishwasher... and me! It didn't leave any time for me to re-run a load that didn't come out clean the first time. 

Confession #4 -  I waste a lot of dishwasher detergent

Call me clumsy but, previously we used a powdered dishwasher detergent and those big boxes were always awkward to pour. Bumped by the baby or startled by wild children zooming through the kitchen, I was always over filling the detergent holder. I was all for trying a pre-measured tab to avoid the waste.

My husband was skeptical.

But I love grabbing a single tab. And I am the one doing the dishes.


Since our old dishwasher detergent just wasn't cutting it, I was happy to give Finish Quantum a try. You might have noticed that Walmart has Finish Products on Rollback (now until October) and you can grab a coupon right here to combine and save even more! 

It is a great time to try it for yourself.


With all the Finish Product options available at my Walmart, I am sure there is a solution in there for all of your own dishwasher confessions. 


Confession #5 - Sometimes I can't tell if my dishes are clean or dirty

And my last little secret is probably something many families deal with. After the green dishwasher light goes off, how do you keep track of whether the dishes are clean or dirty? I never like to realize they are dirty after putting half of them away, so I decided to create a Clean/Dirty Dishwasher Magnet.

It's easy to make with a Silhouette machine and a few simple supplies.

I used:
  • Silhouette Cameo Die Cutter
  • Adhesive Magnet Paper
  • Scrapbook Paper
  • Adhesive Vinyl
  • Transfer Tape


I found the fork and spoon in the Silhouette online library. The download was just $0.99, and I paired it with a shape I already owned and a simple font in my current library. 

This was my first experience using the Adhesive Magnet Paper from Silhouette and it was so simple to cut and use. I just followed the instructions on the back of package and used the cut settings as suggested by the software. 

I also cut the same basic shape out of two different scrapbook paper designs and cut those in half. The white backing peels off the magnet paper and then you can attach it to anything. 


I cut the fork and spoon as well as the words out of adhesive vinyl scraps. With transfer paper I moved them over to my magnet and was done! 


Now I have solved my fifth problem. My kids already like the idea of turning the magnet when I start the dishwasher. I am not sure how long this game will last, but it helps to keep me straight.


As for confession 1-4? Well, Finish Quantum Power has me covered there. My dishes have been cleaner this week than they have for the past 4 years. Now I know I can put off replacing the dishwasher a little longer.

What are your Dishwasher Confessions?
Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!