Saturday, September 13, 2014

Pea and Leek Risotto


I have been told that I eat a lot of green foods.

Well, I don't think that is a bad thing. Take this Pea and Leek Risotto, for instance, it is big on green but also flavorful, filling and fabulous. Even if green isn't quite your thing, you might change your mind after trying a creamy bite of this.

This was sparked from the weekly Food Bloggers Challenge. Sadly, our fresh peas have come and gone for the year, so I was looking for a dish I could enjoy using frozen peas. A quick blanch to perk these little guys back up and they are not bad. Perfect for this simple dish.


The best part for me were the leeks. sauteed with a yellow onion, they add a sweetness to the rice that pairs well with the sweet, yet earthy, little pea.

For risotto making I like to have all my ingredients out and ready. My stock is warm, the onions and leeks are being softened and my peas were already blanched and waiting to go.


Believe it or not, this is the first time I have broken out the immersion blender in a couple of months. I would rather dirty this handy tool than the whole food processor for a job like this.


Of course the biggest thing about risotto is going slowly. It takes about 20 minutes of stirring and ladling in more stock, but so worth it!


Then stir in the pureed and whole peas, a little mint if you like, and a hearty helping of freshly grated Parmesan Cheese. Don't, under any circumstances, forget the cheese!


Pea and Leek Risotto

You Will Need:

  • 4 c. vegetable stock
  • 2 c. peas (I used frozen since they are out of season)
  • 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 large yellow onion, diced
  • 3 leeks, diced an rinsed
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1 1/2 c. Arborio Rice
  • 1 c. dry white wine
  • 1 c. Parmesan Cheese, freshly grated
  • salt and pepper to taste
Warm the stock and the peas in two separate small pots. Process half the peas up with an immersion blender and a ladle full of stock for processing. Set this aside.

In a large saute pan, soften the onion and leek in the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add one ladle of stock and then press the garlic cloves. Heat and stir for about a minute. 

Then add in the Arborio rice and coat it in the butter and oil. Add in the wine and allow it all to evaporate out of the rice before adding a ladle of stock. Continue stirring and adding stock, one ladle full at a time, till the rice is thick, creamy and tender. Turn the heat down to low.

Stir in the mashed peas, whole peas, Parmesan and season to taste.

Serve immediately with diced mint and a mint garnish.

Enjoy!



Weekly challenge to push the creativity of food bloggers. Create an original recipe each week to accomodate the weeks ingredient. If you are a blogger that is interested in linking up your themed recipe, please join the Facebook group to learn how.

Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!