Sunday, September 7, 2014

Plums - Spiced Plum Wontons with Sweetened Sour Cream


This week bloggers were challenged to tackle the plum.

Do you ever bake or cook with plums? We actually have prune orchards here on the farm, but not a single plum tree. One of my favorite houses we lived in while I was growing up was surrounded by a great diverse collection of fruiting bushes, trees and edibles. There were two large plum trees and during the Summer I could eat my fill. I still prefer my plums ripe and hot, since that is how they came off the tree.

Originally I was going to bake with the prunes on our farm. No, not exactly a plum... prunes are older and though California tried to rebrand them as a "dried plum", the two are not exactly the same. It just happens that while at the store I saw some gorgeous, plump plums.


And yes, the plums were as delicious as they looked!

For my recipe I knew I wanted to serve them hot and simple. Why not stuff slices in a wonton? You might remember that I shared an easy recipe for making your own gyoza or wonton wrappers. But more and more grocery stores are also carrying them.


While living in Japan I had a lot of different wontons and even dessert styles. I think my friends there would appreciate these simple plum wontons because they don't go over board with sweetness.


Spiced Plum Wontons with Sweetened Sour Cream

You Will Need:

  • 5 ripe plums, pitted nad cut into 1/8ths
  • wonton wrappers
  • 1 c. brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. Chinese 5-spice or more to taste
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 c. sour cream
  • 1/2 tsp. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • powdered sugar & cinnamon *optional for dusting the top

Start a pot of water boiling. Mix together the brown sugar and Chinese 5-spice powder. Adjust to suit your taste.

Place one wrapper down on your work surface. Place a slice of plum and top with 1/4 tsp. of brown sugar mixture on top. Brush the edges of your wrapper with egg wash and top with another wrapper. Press edges firmly to seal. It needs to have a good seal all around so no water enters the wonton. Repeat until all the wontons are made.

Boil till the wrapper is tender and cooked through. Use a slotted spoon or spider to remove the wontons. Let them cool slightly while making the sweetened sour cream.

Mix together the sour cream, extract, nutmeg and cinnamon. Dust the wontons with a little additional powdered sugar and cinnamon. Serve with the sweetened sour cream.

Enjoy!



Weekly challenge to push the creativity of food bloggers. Create an original recipe each week to accomodate the weeks ingredient. If you are a blogger that is interested in linking up your themed recipe, please join the Facebook group to learn how.





Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!