Thursday, December 18, 2014

Bring the Romance Home - Filet Mignon Dinner with Balsamic Reduction

 This romantic dinner for 2 idea and recipes have been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions and experiences in this shop are mine alone. #TheMoodStrikes #CollectiveBias




It seems like a distant memory, but I can still remember coming home from work and making dinner with my husband. Just the two of us in a tiny apartment. We took our time, we made fresh pasta, we made pineapple upside down cake in the cast iron skillet... and then decided the rest of dinner wasn't necessary. It was a great time to talk, connect and feel closer to each other.

You could say that romance was in the air.

But that was 10 years ago. Now, the freedom to be spontaneous has been replaced with children, macaroni and cheese, picky eaters and at least one time during the meal or meal prep, crying. Not me, well, usually not me... but usually the baby or one of the kids bursts out crying because the world, as they know it, has ended (or they don't agree with my dinner selection).

And at that point you can usually cue burning food or the smoke detector going off.


Well, since my youngest was born I can count on one hand (and all of 2 fingers!) how often we have had a chance for a romantic meal without the kids.

So given the chance for a little alone time, I wanted to create a special dinner with my husband in mind. He likes red meat. I like veggies. This romantic meal made us both happy without leaving us feeling over stuffed.

I like to pan sear my fillet mignon in a cast iron skillet with a little rosemary, salt and pepper. These also happened to be bacon wrapped. A big plus in my book and the bacon really adds to the flavor.


I made this meal extra special with a balsamic vinegar reduction. It sounds all fancy and goes well with both the meat and roasted veggies.

Balsamic vinegar becomes really thick and sweet when you let it simmer. And yeah, it really is that simple. Let it reduce in a small saucepan till it has reduced by half and will coat the back of a spoon.

Veggies I tossed in olive oil and sea salt, then oven roasted for a short amount of time in a hot oven. Served over a bed of cheesy polenta, this was a great way to catch up on each other and reconnect with each other. This simple dinner was easy to make, leaving plenty of time for closeness.


Seared Filet Mignon with Balsamic Reduction

You Will Need:
  • 16 oz. Balsamic Vinegar
  • 2 Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tsp. butter, unsalted

In a small saucepan pour 2 cups of Balsamic Vinegar. Over low heat, bring it to a low simmer and let it reduce to about half. It should easily coat the back of a spoon when it is thick enough. Turn on low till you are ready to serve dinner.

Take the meat out of the fridge 20 minutes before cooking. Salt and pepper both sides of the steaks. 

 In a cast iron skillet, let the pan begin to warm then add the butter and steaks at medium high heat. It should be just below smoking. High, fast heat will result in a delicious steak! Let the steak sear on each side for 3 to 4 minutes. Baste with bacon drippings and butter from the pan. Turn the steak and cook for another 3 minutes or until meat is cooked as desired.

Drizzle the meat with Balsamic Reduction for serving.


Oven roasted Vegetables

You Will Need:
  • Bell Peppers, sliced in various colors
  • Asparagus, woody ends trimmed
  • Green Onions, ends trimmed
  • Olive Oil
  • Sea Salt
preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Keeping the vegetables separate, toss in olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Place on a baking sheet keeping like-sized vegetables together. 

Start to check and turn vegetables at 9 minutes. Keep an eye on them as each will vary in cooking time depending on size. Let them sear but not burn. 

Drizzle with Balsamic Reduction if desired.


The only thing better than a special romantic dinner is perhaps the perfect dessert. I went with a classic, a simple chocolate souffle for two.


But perhaps even better than the perfect dinner and dessert would be the ability to reconnect when the mood strikes. At my age that is sometimes easier said than done.


The busy holiday season is a great time to connect and spend time with your loved one. I try not to let my relationship get lost in the holiday shuffle.



I found this product in the Feminine Needs section at my local Walmart and be sure to grab this coupon for $1 off any K-Y® product.


 I love that K-Y® Liquibeads allow me the freedom to take advantage of these romantic evenings alone together. You know, they may be far and few between, so I don't want to miss an opportunity!

K-Y® is a personal lubricant brand I have used for years, but now I can prepare for what may come after my romantic dinner, even before I start prepping my vegetables. This product only needs to be used once every few days so even I can be spontaneous.


This is a K-Y® Liquibeads Ovule. The package came with 6 individually packaged Ovule inserts and 6 disposable applicators.


The Liquibeads Ovule fits into the end of the applicator and can be inserted by pressing on the plunger. Using the K-Y® Liquibeads is fast, easy and mess free. Then I can get back to prepping for my dinner and hoping for a wonderful evening.

*women who are pregnant or nursing, should first consult a doctor before using K-Y® Liquibeads.

What would your perfect romantic meal for 2 include?


 Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!