Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Sourdough Buttered Rolls - Something to Chew On


Every year Parent Teacher Conferences just sneak up on me. I am left with wondering, do I have any questions? Or what do my kids do all day?

I thought I knew what I was getting myself into. I mean, I went through 12+ years of conferences and usually accompanied my Mom to hear what the teachers had to say. I remember not all teachers liked that idea.

Now it is requested that the kids are there. So, with two siblings in tow, we all head in to find out what is up. Of course we are armed with the approved question handout...

Yes, I said, "Approved questions". This really blew my mind.

It asks parents to be encouraging, supportive in their students' efforts and progress. There are even talking points for parents. We are asked to make positive comments like:

  • I'm proud of the work that you have shown us.
  • I can see that you are trying very hard.
  • I'm so impressed with the way you conducted your conference.
Really? I am pretty sure my Mom was not given tips on positive body language for a Kindergarten Parent Teacher Conference. I am also pretty sure that if needed, all talk of "trying very hard" would have been thrown right out the window if I had been goofing off in class.

Instead I probably would have faces consequences at home. You better believe my Mom's body language would not have been positive. It would have said loud and clear, "We will discuss this when we get home."

I would have straightened up after that.

Are we coddling our kids too much? Everyday I make an effort to talk to my son and daughter about their day in school. We address issues and we find solutions. 

When my daughter had issues with some girls in her class, we talked about it. We worked on boosting her self esteem and we discussed it with her teacher. With my son, he needed extra reading practice at home. We also spend a few extra hours a week on his penmanship. I did encourage real results.

But it ruffles my feathers a little when the school tells me how to behave in a Parent Teacher Conference. 

So, instead of stewing over what I would like to say on the matter... I will keep my mouth shut and full of these fabulous and fun little Sourdough Buttered Rolls. A tangy and simple sourdough in a fun roll shape. The carb-filled goodness did help me take my mind off the whole upcoming Teacher Conference showdown.

I promise to be good... I just may need another roll...


Okay, onto this fun twist on sourdough...

Grab your ingredients, which includes your fed sourdough starter. I like to feed mine the night before baking. 


My stand mixer with pig tail dough implement does a great job kneading the dough... so I don't need too. This is so much better than my old dough hook. 


Once kneaded, cover the bowl and let it sit and rise in a warm area. My kitchen usually stays the warmest, but don't be surprised if the sourdough rises very slowly.


These are made just like your classic cinnamon rolls. Instead of filling them with cinnamon and brown sugar, they are brushed with butter. I think this Spring I will fill them with a little herb and cheese mixture, or perhaps caramelized onions and rosemary?


Roll them up and place them in two pie plates to rise for another hour or so. They will have a crispy exterior like a loaf of sourdough, but the middle smells wonderfully like a deep yeasty loaf of sourdough bread. 

Two pans was the perfect side for a simple soup. In this house, fresh breads never last long.


Sourdough Buttered Rolls

You Will Need:
  • 1/2 c. sourdough starter, fed
  • 3 c. all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 tsp. yeast
  • 1 Tbsp. honey
  • 1 1/4 tsp. bread salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 5 + 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
  • 2/3 c. room temperature water
Combine all the ingredients in a stand mixer with corkscrew bread attachment. Knead for 5 minutes until the dough comes together and is soft and smooth. 

Cover the mixing bowl with kitchen wrap and let the dough double in bulk, about 1 to 2 hours in a warm place. 

When the dough has gone through its first rise, transfer to a non-stick rolling mat or a slightly greased surface. Roll out to 12"x16" rectangle. Spread the surface with 5 Tbsp. softened butter. Roll the dough up into a log and slice like cinnamon rolls. 

Place sliced rolls into 2 pie plates, cover and let rise for another hour. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees towards the end of the rise. 

Bake for about 25 minutes. The rolls will only brown slightly. Do not overcook. Spread the remaining softened butter over the finished rolls and serve immediately.


Enjoy! ...and wish me luck with those Parent Teacher Conferences tomorrow.


Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!