Thursday, March 26, 2015

Brown Eggs? Silhouette and Sharpie Easter Eggs


My kids have been buzzing this week about decorating Easter Eggs. It is Spring Break here and with Easter coming up, it seemed like a great way to keep my kids busy and let them get creative.

The only problem is, I don't have any hens that lay white eggs!

This drives me batty every year. I don't buy eggs from the store. I have a great coop just bursting with producing hens. The eggs we eat come from my 15 girls. It just happens to be that the eclectic mix of chickens out back all lay gorgeous brown eggs.

I have Barred Rock hens, Cochins, Buff Orphingtons, several different crosses (for better egg production), a Silver Laced Wyandotte, etc. It is quite a colorful crew in the yard, but their eggs are all, pretty uniformly, brown.

Remember folks, those coveted brown eggs just come from breeds that lay brown eggs.They are not better or more nutritious. Those white eggs come from a breed that lays just white eggs.

But, have you ever tried the traditional Easter Egg kits with brown eggs?

They don't come out so pretty and colorful.

This year I decided to use the same technique I used to make my favorite "Mom" mug on our beautiful brown eggs. I started by "blowing" the eggs to remove the yolk and albumen, then I washed and dried them. I am blowing out the eggs this year because I can only take so many hard boiled eggs in a week.


This little tool works for poking a hole in the bottom of the egg and then to manually blow out the contents. If you plan to do a lot of them, save the eggs for a quiche or frittata.



For this craft you will need:

  • Eggs
  • Sharpie Markers in bright colors
  • Sticker shapes or cut stencils on the Silhouette

Place the sticker or stencil material onto the clean egg. I start at the middle and work outward, trying to smooth down the edges the best I can.


Select your markers and start dotting. Be sure to get the dots heaviest around the edges and details of your shape. This will help to make the silhouette image or design stand out.


When finished, I removed the clear stencil material and my image showed through. My daughter also worked on her own designs. It was a colorful and simple way to create unique Easter Eggs.

Even on brown eggs!




Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!