Friday, November 6, 2015

Feather Rings


Of course, I am back with another jewelry craft. This one is fast, simple and fun! We created our own feather rings with ring blanks, guinea fowl feathers, and Dimensional Magic Mod Podge.

One thing I don't enjoy about fall is that our birds all start molting. We seem to have feathers everywhere in the yard. As much as I get tired off all those stray feathers being molted, I do get excited for the guinea foul to shed  few. These little polka dotted beauties are from my 3 guinea fowl. I promise they are not much to look at, but the feathers are beautiful.

I know, not everyone has their own supply of feathers walking around the yard, but these are also commonly found at craft stores. The feathers are relatively small and have a thin shaft. They are also popular for fly tying.


For this project you will need:

  • 1 clean feather
  • 1 ring blank
  • Mod Podge Dimensional Magic
  • toothpick
  • scissors

Start by picking a good feather to fit your ring blank. I tried out several feathers to test their size and shape inside the ring. Don't worry if your feather is larger than your ring. Just make sure it fills up the inside completely.


Don't worry, we are going to trim the feather to fit. I decided against using the smaller feather because it didn't fill up the outsides of the ring. I used a larger feather and just trimmed off the top.


With your squeeze bottle of Mod Podge, start squeezing into a paper towel and then fill in the bottom of the ring blank. Do not fill the entire blank, just coat the bottom. Use your toothpick to remove any bubbles that may have formed.

Lay the feather on top of the partially filled ring blank. Using the toothpick, make sure the feather edges are inside the blank. Trim as necessary.

Then add a little Dimensional Magic Mod Podge to cover the top and completely seal the ring.


Let the ring dry flat for several hours. I like to prop mine up between two jars. Once it dries, the Mod Podge will dry clear and you are ready to enjoy your new feather ring.



For more crafts from The Brand Connection, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:

Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!